Other Considerations

If the property is mortgaged, first you should get your mortgagee’s written consent to the letting. You must inform us if they require additional clauses in the tenancy agreement.

You should check the terms of your lease, if you are a leaseholder and also get any necessary written consent before the letting.

Before letting your property, make sure that you are covered for letting under both your buildings and contents insurance. Failure to inform your insurers may invalidate your policies. If you require advice on Landlords Legal Protection, Rent Guarantee Cover and Landlords Contents and Buildings Insurance, please contact us.

Bills and outgoings
The easiest way for paying regular outgoings: service charges, maintenance contracts etc. is to be paid by standing order or direct debit. Where we are managing the property, if we have prior written agreement, then we may make payment of certain bills on your behalf, if these bills are received in your name at our office, and of course if there are sufficient funds held to your credit.

Council tax, utility accounts
We will arrange for the transfer of Council Tax and utility accounts to the Tenant. We also take meter, allowing your closing gas and electricity accounts to be drawn up. However, you must know, that British Telecom will require instructions from both the Landlord and the Tenant.

Income tax
It is your responsibility to inform the Revenue & Customs of rental income received, and to pay any tax due, if you are resident in the UK. If you are resident outside the UK during the tenancy, you will require an exemption certificate from the Revenue & Customs before you can receive rental balances without deduction of tax.

Making an inventory
It is very important to make an inventory of the contents and a schedule of condition, because without them it will be impossible for the Landlord to prove any loss, damage, or significant deterioration of the property or contents. In order to avoid misunderstanding or dispute at the end of a tenancy, we will (if required) arrange for a member of staff to prepare an inventory and schedule of condition, at the cost quoted in our Agency Agreement.

Assured Short hold Tenancy
Most tenancies will be Assured Short hold Tenancies (ASTs) automatically, if the rent is under £25,000 a year and the property is let to private individuals. Tenancies are granted for an initial fixed term of either 6 or 12 months. After the expiration of the fixed term, the landlord is able to regain possession of the property, if he gives two months written notice to the tenant. Furthermore, if the tenant owes at least 2 months or 8 weeks rent on the property, the Landlord can apply through the court to seek a possession order.

We hope that the above information helped you answering your questions. If there are any parts of which you are unsure, please ask us. We look forward to being of assistance to you in the letting and management of your property.